Making the switch to online learning can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be any more difficult or less enjoyable than learning face-to-face! Here are 5 things you can do before each lesson to help you overcome the distance and make the most of all of your lessons:
- Create the right environment. First, find a cool, quiet part of the house with a desk or table for you to use. Remember that your computer will take up some room, so you’ll want to plan this space so that you still have room to write and think. Ensure everyone in your household knows when your lessons are taking place to minimise interruptions. Make sure you have a pen and paper handy for notes and questions.
- Set everything up ten minutes before the start of your lesson. We know that going into another room and turning on your computer isn’t the same as leaving your house for a lesson, but technology always seems to take longer when we need to do something quickly. Give both yourself and your tech lots of time to get ready and in the learning-zone. It’s always better to be ready a minute early than a minute late!
- Reflect on your last lesson. Think about what you covered in your last lesson – have you had any further reflections on what was covered? Do you have any questions you would like to ask your tutor about the last lesson and topic? Ensure you have completed any assignments or homework that was set from the last lesson to discuss and review with your tutor.
- Think about your agreed topic ahead of time. Do you have any questions which you already know you’d like to ask? Just like in-classroom learning, an online meeting with your tutor can fly by faster than you think, especially since, with our one-to-one structure, the teacher’s attention isn’t split across multiple students. These lessons are all about you! So, remember to breathe, take your time, and think of questions you might have even before your lessons start. It’s always ok to let your tutor know what you’re most interested in and you’ll always get more out of a lesson if you’ve already given it some thought. Knowing what you’re curious about is the best way to make sure that you love every minute of class and leave each session full of new knowledge and hungry for more.
- Remember to have fun! Reach Cambridge Online Courses are, first and foremost, about helping you to pursue your passions and take charge of your own learning with the help of an expert in your chosen field. Our tutors join us because they love what they do, and we want you to feel the same way. Ask questions your regular teachers might not be able to cover in year-round classes, or even see if you can stump your tutor or exceed your own expectations. No question is too big or small for you and your tutor to tackle together, so follow your curiosity and make sure you’re smiling while you do!
Our tutors already love the freedom and flexibility of our online sessions and we know you will too. Set up a personalised advice session with one of our staff members now to get started with your online learning experience